Thursday, August 6, 2009

A BAD day at Meijer turned into a GOOD day!

Well, I ventured off to Meijer this morning on a quick (or what I thought was going to be quick) grocery run. I had all my stuff organized and had figured out that I needed to do 7 transactions to get all my deals. I was told by the u-scan ladies that the regular clerks wouldn't mind at all if I walked up with that many transactions. So, I selected a guy that I didn't think would give me any grief....WRONG! I forewarned him that I had many transactions and a lot of coupons. I immediately had him questioning me about it and he finally said he wouldn't do more than 3 transactions. He wasn't rude with his words but he simply wasn't going to let me do 7 transactions. I explained to him that I was in a hurry b/c my son had a graduation ceremony at one of his summer camps and I was due to be there in like 10 minutes. He let me do 3 transactions, I had to load up the rest of my packed cart and go over to u-scan, resort everything and do my own transactions. I was so mad, mostly because I knew I was going to be late for my son. The u-scan clerk was fabulous and was a great help but told me there was no reason in the world that I should have gotten turned away.

Sure enough, I show up for the ceremony very late and missed the entire thing, my son getting his certificate and was the only mom out of 50 kids not there. I almost cried and the topper is that I paid a babysitter today so I could shop and go to this special day with my son, both were ruined b/c this guy wouldn't do his job.

I promptly got home and phoned the manager. He was wonderful and said that I should not have experienced that and it is absolutely no problem separating transactions. He gladly offered to give me a $25 gift card for my trouble and assured me that they would speak to the gentleman so this doesn't happen again. I told him that I got so frazzled that I missed giving the u-scan lady a bunch of coupons ($8.60 worth) and he said to come in and they would adjust my bill.

I went back in this afternoon and not only did he NOT verify that all my coupons were for items I purchased, he took my word for everything and just handed me a $10.00 bill for all the coupons I neglected to give them earlier, then gave me my $25.00 gift card. TALK ABOUT GREAT SERVICE!

The best part of the story is yet to come. I realized I had Meijer cash to spend so me and the kids did some more shopping and scored some good deals! As I was checking out at the u-scan machine, I noticed the lane next to me had an overflow of catalinas that had printed out and the patron didn't even notice. Some of them were for baby items so I asked if she was going to take them and she said no, to help myself. I am about the exit the store when I noticed there was a $5.00 off your next purchase that had printed. I took a few steps and then my guilt sunk in, I immediately got her attention and explained that this coupon had printed and I wanted to be honest about it and not rob her of 5.00 off her next bill. To which, she said "no, you keep it, I don't shop here that much". Being honest does pay off! I also found some crumpled up Meijer cash so me snooping in the next lane earned me $9.00 in free stuff at Meijer! How awesome and I have the $25.00 gift card to offset my purchases as well!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment