Thursday, February 25, 2010

My Favorite Recipe of ALL TIME!




I wanted to share with you my favorite recipe that is from my Aunt Peggy in California. I've been eating this dish since I was 9!

Cheese Strata

6 slices bread, toast each piece and butter ( I used I can't believe it's not butter spray, no calories and no difference in taste!)

Stack the toast and cut into cubes

Spray a 9 x 13 pyrex dish and arrange the bread cubes in the pan, yes that is my son's hand in the picture!

Beat together 4 eggs, 2 cups milk

Layer a 2 cup bag of shredded cheddar cheese and a small bag of cubed ham on top of the toast. Then pour the egg mixture on top. Cover the dish and refrigerate overnight.

Bake at 350 degrees for approx. 45 minutes (cooking less than this has resulting in it turning out a little runny), I've played around with the time for many years and at this temp and time, it seems to let the egg and bread set well.

This is a fantastic dish, it does vary slightly from my Aunt's original recipe but its a keeper in my house!! I hope you enjoy it as much as I have over the years!

No comments:

Post a Comment